The NCC of Independent India was formally inaugurated by the National Cadet Corps Act of 1948 on 15 July 1948 with only 20,000 cadets. It was then envisioned to empower volunteer youth to become potential leaders and responsible citizens. NCC was the first organization to include Girls Division in 1949 and adopted tri-service Image by adding Air Wing in 1950 followed by the Naval Wing in 1952.
Over the past 75 years, NCC having preserved its ethos of ‘Unity and Discipline’ and ‘Ek Bharat Shresth Bharat’ has emerged as the largest uniform volunteer organization with 17 Lakh sanctioned strength over 21,000 school/college/Institutes. The presence of NCC across the length and breadth of the country has created a vast human resource of disciplined, trained and motivated youth to provide leadership in all walks of life and be available for the service of the nation. The contribution of NCC during the Wars and National Emergencies is well documented as ‘Second line of Defense’.
NCC is a platform where cadets are provided with national level recognition and under its youth exchange programme selected cadets also gain international exposure. The NCC alumni have been successful in all fields of endeavors and the formation of NCC Alumni Association further serves as an inspiration to the young cadets. Ushering into future, NCC remains committed to develop character qualities, mould discipline in youth and nurture social integration through multi-faceted programs conducted in a military environment.